1) The name of this salad is very misleading. I don’t think a light dish comprised of dried cranberries, quinoa, and a lemony dressing is the kind of thing most people associate with warriors. Am I wrong?
2) After 7 months of poking myself in the eye each morning, I finally feel like a true contact lens wearer. I wish the ophthalmologist would have told me about the evaporation phenomena that definitely occurs if you drop a lens before it makes it to your eyeball. Theoretically, there are quite a few on my bathroom counter, sink, floor, mirror…
3) Let’s go back to the warrior thing for a second. Do warriors wear contacts? I feel like they might. Glasses would seem cumbersome while warrior-ing. I imagine warriors to be a bit over-agressive when first trying to put in a contact lens. Am I wrong in assuming warriors who wear contact lenses would have a lot more corneal abrasions, folded contacts, and red/teary eyes than the non-warrior wearers? (Unrelated: say ‘non-warrior wearers’ 5 times fast right now)
4) Back to the salad. (Are you liking this back and forth thing? Am I distracting you from the poor content? That’s what I’m trying to do)
5) Let’s go back to the salad for real this time. This salad, misnamed or not, is the kind of dish that makes you tear up a bit after taking a bite (read: not a contact issue). As you wipe away the tears, you call your mom because she needs to make this and eat it ASAP. It’s that good of a recipe. I kid you not.
6) Warriors probably wear contacts. They might like this salad. Your mom will definitely like this salad. Call your mom. That’s what you were supposed to get from all of this jargon.
2C cooked quinoa (cooled)
3/4C drained and rinsed chickpeas
1/4C dried cranberries
1/4C thinly sliced scallions
3T olive oil
juice of 1/2 lemon
1tsp whole grain mustard
1/2tsp maple syrup
Combine quinoa, chickpeas, cranberries, and scallions in a bowl. Toss to combine.
In a different bowl, whisk olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, maple syrup, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
Pour dressing over quinoa mixture. Stir. Taste and adjust seasonings.